Tuesday, 15 October 2019 08:35

Dog Poisons – Top 6

Rate this item
(0 votes)
Dog poisons, a number 1 search for Christmas. In this blog, I’ll share with you my research regarding things that are toxic to our dogs. Chocolate, Christmas Pudding & Mince Pies, Mistletoe, Christmas Trees, cigarettes and e-cigarettes.
Chocolate Chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine, which is also found in cola drinks and tea. It affects the central nervous system and the heart muscle. According to Wikipedia, a treatment performed by a Vet will include induced vomiting if within 2 hours of injection. Further treatment may include administration of benzodiazepines or barbiturates for seizures, antiarrhythmics for heart arrhythmias, and fluid diuresis. Chocolate poisoning is more likely in dogs than cats and many other species can also me affected. Symptoms The first symptoms of theobromine poisoning are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, agitation, excessive thirst, breathlessness and an increased desire to urinate. It is possible for this to progress to cardiac arrhythmias, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and eventually death. Chocolate Toxicity Calculator Christmas Pudding & Mince Pies Raisins, currants and sultanas and all products that are contained in Christmas Pudding, Mince Pies, Hot Cross Buns and fruit cake. They are the dried product of a grape which can be poisonous to dogs. Vets Now says, “It is thought that the dried versions of this food are more likely to cause severe symptoms and potentially renal failure. They say it is unclear what causes the actual toxic effects. It is not advisable to allow your dog to eat any amount of the above as there seems to be no correlation between the amount eaten and the size of the dog. This is why you will not find a raisin toxicity calculator. If you are in any doubt, please call your vet or take them immediately to see your veterinary surgeon. If you find yourself in the situation where you think your pet may have eaten something toxic, always take a sample of the food or its’ packaging to your vet. DO NOT TRY TO INDUCE VOMITING. Symptoms Symptoms will usually start to show approximately 6-12 hours after your dog has eaten the toxic food, but if you know it has happened, get yourself to the vet immediately. Things to look out for are vomiting, diarrhoea (may be with blood present), abnormal drinking and/or urination, increased drooling and a lack of appetite. Symptoms may also include blood in the urine, lethargy and weakness or wobbly walking. Mistletoe When you think of poisonous plants at Christmas time, you usually think of Poinsettia. Poinsettia is not technically poisonous to dogs but ingestion of this plant does not come without symptoms, quite the contrary your dog may suffer from some stomach upset, please call your Vet if you suspect your dog has eaten any poisonous plant. Mistletoe however, are more toxic than poinsettia. Symptoms include gastrointestinal upset, such as sickness and diarrhoea. Also excessive drooling and abdominal pain. Mistletoe contains a substance called toxalbumin and pharatoxin viscumin (Lectins, Phoratoxins). This plant is well known for severe intestinal upset but also a sudden drop in blood pressure, also breathing problems and in some cases, hallucinations. If a large amount of the mistletoe plant is consumed, seizures and even death may follow. If you have pets, please don’t bring any poisonous plants into your home. Christmas Trees While the obvious hazards of the Christmas tree pose a threat to our dogs, the oils produced by fir trees can be irritating to your dogs mouth and stomach. This can cause vomiting or drooling. Christmas tree needles if ingested are likely to cause intestinal irritation not to mention the risk of obstruction and even puncture. If you have a tree in water and your pet drinks the water, this can be noxious causing your dog to become very sick even from a small amount. Cigarettes and e-cigarettes While not exactly a Christmas poison, the risk of this happening at Christmas has an increased risk with family and friends visiting you. The traditional cigarette butt is particularly poisonous to dogs as nicotine is toxic to dogs. Reports are rare but ingestion can cause hyper- salivation, excitement, tremors, vomiting, lack of coordination, weakness, convulsions, respiratory failure and even death. Other risks include: nicotine patches e-cigarette refills nicotine gum chewing tobacco cigars xylitol Festive stats to give you some ‘paws’ for thought! There are 51 million pets in the U.K. and 26% of households have dogs Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/308229/estimated-pet-population-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/ 70% of pets get Christmas gifts from their owners 9 out of 10 poisonings happen at the pets own home 92% pets will experience and emergency situation in their life there is a 40% increase in alcohol at Christmas 25 million Christmas puddings are eaten every year 230, 000 tonnes of Christmas food is thrown away 1 ib 5 toxic plant emergencies involve Lilies 5.5 million people unknowingly feed their pet harmful foods 15% of dog owners have sought emergency vet treatment on Boxing Day
Read 766 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.